[Week 10]: I Got In!!
Good News!
Yesterday I received an email from Dr. Jean Larson at ASU stating that I've been accepted to their CBBG REU! At first I was worried that the schedule requests (40 hrs/week and no outside employment) would conflict with my military commitment.
However, I was incredibly pleased to hear that they're more than understanding and will try to work with my unit (who is also supportive of this). While this opportunity is very Biology and Sustainability focused (which, sorry, IS NOT MY PASSION), I figured getting extra experience in will help me obtain other scholarships as I progress.
I made sure to reiterate that I am a chemistry major (with a minor in Material Sciences- working towards an MS Engineering Master's), and that while I was honored to be selected I wanted to be sure that I would be working on something focused in Chem. While this is to ensure that I gain relevant experience, I wanted to be sure I was not taking the seat of a sustainability or Environmental Engineering student who could have really used the opportunity if there was little to no chemistry.
I'll admit that I was nervous asking this, as I hate to appear ungrateful for as a 'choosing beggar'. However, after a sit down with Josh, I came to the conclusion that as always:
The worst they can say is no.
I managed to worry so much that I forgot that I'm a bull in a china shop at times, and I'm more than capable of advocating for myself. Regardless, this is looking like an awesome opportunity. Below is the project I will be assisting research:
Its definitely really Bio for my taste, but I know I'll learn a lot. I'll be working M-F from 0900-1600 in the lab and in June they're sending the undergraduate researchers to UC Davis! I'm trying my best to stay open minded and see where I end up. At the end of the day, I'm grateful to Dr. Chapman, Josh, and Dr. Hamdan for guiding me and putting me in a position where this could happen.
See you next week,
RJ
Yesterday I received an email from Dr. Jean Larson at ASU stating that I've been accepted to their CBBG REU! At first I was worried that the schedule requests (40 hrs/week and no outside employment) would conflict with my military commitment.
However, I was incredibly pleased to hear that they're more than understanding and will try to work with my unit (who is also supportive of this). While this opportunity is very Biology and Sustainability focused (which, sorry, IS NOT MY PASSION), I figured getting extra experience in will help me obtain other scholarships as I progress.
I made sure to reiterate that I am a chemistry major (with a minor in Material Sciences- working towards an MS Engineering Master's), and that while I was honored to be selected I wanted to be sure that I would be working on something focused in Chem. While this is to ensure that I gain relevant experience, I wanted to be sure I was not taking the seat of a sustainability or Environmental Engineering student who could have really used the opportunity if there was little to no chemistry.
I'll admit that I was nervous asking this, as I hate to appear ungrateful for as a 'choosing beggar'. However, after a sit down with Josh, I came to the conclusion that as always:
The worst they can say is no.
I managed to worry so much that I forgot that I'm a bull in a china shop at times, and I'm more than capable of advocating for myself. Regardless, this is looking like an awesome opportunity. Below is the project I will be assisting research:
Its definitely really Bio for my taste, but I know I'll learn a lot. I'll be working M-F from 0900-1600 in the lab and in June they're sending the undergraduate researchers to UC Davis! I'm trying my best to stay open minded and see where I end up. At the end of the day, I'm grateful to Dr. Chapman, Josh, and Dr. Hamdan for guiding me and putting me in a position where this could happen.
See you next week,
RJ

Congratulations on getting such an awesome opportunity! It is awesome how your unit is understanding and letting you do take advantage of this awesome opportunity. Good luck on your studies and your career!
ReplyDeleteCongrats, RJ! I am so happy you were able to get a spot in this internship; you deserve it! I hope you have a great time and I’m sure you will gain experience. It’s great how they were understanding of your military schedule and willing to work around it! I wish you the best of luck during your summer internship :)
ReplyDeleteIn spite of the fact that your most recent post is 15 days old, it's still awesome to hear (or rather read) that you were accepted in the CBBG REU at ASU! It's good to have read that your unit and ASU are more than willing to find a compromise that won't affect your grind!
ReplyDelete