[Week 5]: They say that in the Army...

Thank you all for your patience and I apologize for my late response. I promise I have a reason for this.

This week I was faced with my biggest blessing and curse in my adult life; the Army.

To clarify, I left a full time (and well paying)  military position in order to complete my BS in Chemistry by 2020. This is a personal goal that I will not comprise on,for the sake of my happiness, purpose, and direction in life. Attempting to balance a 40+ hour demanding work week as well as finishing classes that demand participation has been a tough balancing act.  At times it seemed like I was asked to complete a task that required four arms, when I've only been issued two. The National Guard is explained as only on the weekends, but I've more often than not found myself devoted to it in a full time capacity. While both sides of the aisle, the Army and College, would like me to get a degree and professionally progress it often has to be on their terms which rarely coincide.

Even if I attempt to plan weeks in advance, both sides rarely work together. This has typically resulted in having to withdraw from classes. In the past my professor's would not allow excused absences/ alternate assignments due to military obligations (and the Dean and Veteran Services clarified that its up to the professor's discretion). In order to prevent my grade from severely dropping, I would withdraw. This has also resulted in my lab partners disliking me as I would need to have the group complete assignments far in advance. While my military career progressed nicely with every drill and TDY, my education was crawling along at a snail's pace with what classes I could take online. Hence why I am almost finished with all my math requirements, yet am only in my Sophomore year for my physical science classes.

On the contrary, there were lots of times where I would to bring my study materials with me to the armory or field. I would sit in S-1 after hours and do my calculus homework. I've taken my textbooks to the field (which was not fun to carry in my ruck) and be sure to read a bit in my sleeping bag with a flashlight. Even if I was sore and angry and exhausted, wanting nothing more than a shower, I realized this is what I would need to do to eventually graduate. While I wished I could be a student with the typical experience of living on campus and attending classes all day with no other demands than studying, I accepted that this would never be my situation and that's okay. I knew that all this struggling was fine-tuning my time management skills and personal resolve to accomplish tasks. It would make it all matter so much more.

While that sounds like a whole lot of bad, there is lots of good! I've wanted to be in the military since I was a little girl, due to that Army Brat lifestyle. I've always felt at home around uniforms. I remember visiting different armories and asking to see the robots. I didn't mind the loud scream of fighter jets and hugging my dad after being in the field are memories that I hold dear. All my life, I've considered it a privilege and and honor to wear the uniform. A very small portion of our country has the desire or will to sign the dotted line. Even fewer are physically and mentally fit enough to get through screening. It's tough work, but it makes me proud to be American and I'm thankful for all its taught me so far.

A picture from a recent cycle of recruits from my former BCT company.
Don't worry, the gas chamber only hurts if you breathe. 

While I've always been disciplined (having a mom and dad that were NCO's will do that), the Army really solidified it in my life. It's taught me courage to do what's right, even if no one likes me at the end of the day. It's taught me how to care for myself and maintain proper physical fitness on my own. It's strengthened my familiarity with weapons and how to drive trucks with wheels almost half my height.  Best of all, the Army has given me a mental toughness and emotional resilience to bounce back from whatever life throws at me. I've experienced great days and horrible days, and I wouldn't trade that for anything else because I wouldn't be who I am today without them. And because of how much the Army has allowed me to grow, it makes me stand out among my classmates when applying for opportunities. It provides extra financial aid and allows me to be recognized as financially independent for FAFSA. I've been financially independent since 19 but I was not allowed to claim myself even though no money was coming from my parents). I went from having to take out huge loans on my own, to having almost full coverage with grants and TA!

Plus, who doesn't love helicopters?

But to get to the point, the Army was asking for me to essentially miss almost a complete week of school. This was incredibly frustrating only because I am taking 19 credits in order to graduate on time. Missing an entire week of classes would hurt my grades badly and I feared that I would have to push everything back even further. Especially considering ASU's Chemistry MAPP is semester locked in the Junior-Senior year. I would have no qualms about being in the field for a while, but I've put off my education for years and it was starting to demoralize me. But by the grace of God, I happened to get promoted! Without getting into the weeds, this means I won't miss a full week of class and catching up will be simple. My new unit does not require a couple hours of driving and while I may miss out on some summer research opportunities for mandatory training due to this promotion, things are coming together. Furthermore, I've been blessed with amazingly patient and understanding professors this semester who are not penalizing my grades harshly.

If any of my peers are considering the military, specifically the National Guard, I'd say do what your heart is asking you to do. Please know that enlisting only for the college money will probably not be enough motivation to emotionally get you through when sh*t hits the fan and while it will financially help eventually, your time first and foremost belongs to the military. Realize that the NG is not always one weekend a month. Do your research and come to your own conclusions, just know that it'll be the best and worst thing in your life.



Very Respectfully,

RJ Mabry

Comments

  1. Hey, RJ. Wow! First of all, your writing skills are the best I've seen in an S-STEM blog so far. Reading your blog on this fine morning was very inspirational. You're right, finding the balance with such a demanding career and on top of that add 19 college credits is too much. But, don't let it get to you-- try to take most of your classes hybrid and online. Regarding your worry about taking long to get your BS in chemistry, remember the time will pass anyway. I know people that took eight years to get their BS, and they never regretted anything at the end, in fact, they enjoyed the journey. I hope everything turns out the way you expect it to be.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment