[Week 4]: When Opportunity Flows


Hello again!

This week I got started learning ArcGIS. This is a professional geographical mapping system which is used not only in STEM careers but anything that requires surveying land. This is an awesome program but requires some learning, though I know this will help me greatly as I move forward in my career. Dr. Hamdan was kind enough to get me a textbook and some links so I can complete online training. While I'm ansty to get outside, most of my time so far has been spent at a desk.

I try to avoid work on my gaming computer, but sometimes you have to make sacrifices

While its intuitive that you will need to do lots of reading and background learning, I somehow tricked myself into thinking it wouldn't be this in depth. If there is anything I can take away from starting a research program, it is definitely that 75% of the time you spend will be researching and designing your methods.

 For brevity's sake, I met with Dr. Hamdan again to receive feedback on my selection of a collection site and some further mentorship. Foremost, Dr. Hamdan complimented all the thought and hard work I put into my research proposal and the considerations I took into account when selecting a site.  While I normally do not seek validation from external sources, I felt very excited and accomplished that she would say so. However, we have decided that Site 2 would be best for our research. 

Viewed from 1.1 km
While I had the right mindset, I did not realize that Google Earth Pro has special tools which allows the user to place two plots on the ground and it will measure the distance. This would have helped greatly as I was estimating length on objects I could visually see, which is not accurate at all. However, I won't beat myself up too badly. 

On a brighter note though, Dr. Hamdan heavily recommended that I apply for the Center of Bio-mediated and Bio-inspired Geotechnics (CBBG) undergraduate research program. This is a NSF Engineering center funded research program in conjunction with Georgia Tech, UC Davis, and New Mexico State University. While I was initially hesitant, because I am not looking for a future in a biological or sustainability field, I was assured that my chemistry and physics background would be used and needed. 



I wouldn't want to take the slot for a student who truly wishes to pursue civil or environmental engineering, however Dr. Hamdan explained that it would greatly expand my knowledge, make my resume more competitive, and expose me to engineering faculty, graduates, and post-docs who could guide me in the direction I desire to go. It also has a $5000 stipend, which I'd gladly accept. I am posting the link below for anyone who wishes to apply as well, I hope to see some of my fellow S-STEM scholars there!

I will not be posting next week, but I will have an entry detailing why. 

See you, Space Cowboy



-RJ

Comments

  1. Hey, RJ. Could you please explain more about the ArcGIS? You mentioned that it's also used as a surveying land. What did you mean by surveying the land? Is it like google earth where you just type destinations, and get back 3D satellite images or are there an actual set of data on specific locations? I'm just curious because I could use your software for my research as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi RJ! I miss seeing you around the S-STEM lab but I’m happy to hear that you’re enjoying your research so far. With that in mind, congratulations on finding one! I know you were having a difficult time with choosing a project. I’ve never heard of the ARCGis program but it sounds interesting! Good luck on your training and I can’t wait to read your next post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi RJ! I miss seeing you around the S-STEM lab but I’m happy to hear that you’re enjoying your research so far. With that in mind, congratulations on finding one! I know you were having a difficult time with choosing a project. I’ve never heard of the ARCGis program but it sounds interesting! Good luck on your training and I can’t wait to read your next post :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment